Taking Your Pet Abroad


From 1st January 2021, pet travel to Europe changed as a result of the UK leaving the EU.  Please check gov.uk for the latest guidance on taking your pet abroad.

You can no longer use a pet passport to travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland.  Instead, your pet needs to have an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) in order to travel.  These can only be issued within 10 days of travel and must be completed and issued by a vet qualified as an Official Veterinarian (OV) for DEFRA.  Your pet will need a new animal health certificate for each trip to an EU country or Northern Ireland. Animal Health Certificates are valid for up to 5 pets only, and for 4 months after the date of issue.

Your pet will still require a microchip and an up to date vaccination against Rabies to be able to travel.  A minimum of 21 days is required between the initial vaccination and day of travel, so please make sure that you plan ahead!  Some countries, like Finland, Ireland, Malta, Northern Ireland & Norway require a dog to have a tapeworm treatment prior to travel also.  Our Official Veterinarian can discuss your pet’s specific requirements with you.


Please check gov.uk for the latest guidance on travelling outside of the EU with your pet.  Your pet will require an Export Health Certificate (EHC) in order to travel and, depending on where you are travelling to, your pet may need to have blood tests performed prior to travel, or there may be additional documentation required.

Please contact the surgery to get a tailor-made protection scheme for your pet’s holiday!

Official Veterinarians


Senior Vet Birgit Nordmann


Veterinary Surgeon Virginia Herrera